Tuesday 16 July 2013

Life at Colosoul so far...

They say every career starts off somewhere, and I’m so glad I’ve chosen Colosoul Magazine to begin mine.

Launching a career in the media industry is a tumultuous task – it really is “who you know, not what you know” – and I believe it takes a fair amount of bravery and persistence to go down the journalism route in today’s society.

After what seemed like a thousand phone calls, emails, even personal meet and greets with local newspapers and magazines in search of a job, I was beginning to give up on the idea I could pursue a career in journalism in Perth. Though publications were impressed by my portfolio, there simply weren’t any jobs available – editors told me they were even questioning their own job security. I was starting to lose patience as I began to question my years of study and ask myself - was it all really worth it?

I was so incredibly relieved when I came across Colosoul Magazine and their mentorship program in an online advertisement. My faith in the media industry had been restored.

Everyone who is a part of the Colosoul Group is united by a common goal – and it is this desire to gain experience in a chosen career and establish and develop contacts amongst the industry which contributes to its’ success.

Though I signed up as a general writer, I am also able to work alongside the editor of Colosoul Magazine, where I am given detailed insight into every aspect of the publication world that comes with putting together a magazine. Each day I learn something more about what it takes to print a 50-something page publication – from sourcing writers, to managing layout, to calling upon advertisers and liaising with individual department editors. There’s a lot of work involved, but when I believe in something that is truly rewarding, the persistence, dedication and hard work is all worth it.

Working at Colosoul Magazine means I see first-hand, what it means to be a writer for an independent, non-for-profit social and cultural publication. The idea of the Colosoul Group giving students and uni graduates the chance to gain experience, knowledge and contacts within their chosen industry is fantastic, and knowing I’m working for a company with a larger, more philanthropic purpose, well that’s just truly enlightening.

Brooke.  

0 comments :

Post a Comment